Friday, November 5, 2010

In Memory

     I silently scuttled to my pew and sat next to my parents. The funeral was about to begin. A man who looked almost older than my late grandfather appeared at the podium.
     "To those of you who don't know me, I'm am the younger brother to the late Robert McWilliams", Grumbled the ancient man, "My brother lived a long tiresome life. He put in an unprecedented amount of hours into the workforce and double that into his family"
     He wore a solom expression upon a face that like a dirty old rag that had been discarded to lay folded in a heap.
     "For the greater portion of his life, he was the favourite in our family, he was choclate and I was black liquorice"
     A small laugh went through the crowd.
     Reluctlantly, the man continued as two pictures of my grandfather appeared behind him, "The years were rough on my brother, he was once young and had had the energy of a child on christmas morning, later in his life, he was stricken with arthritis, as you all know"
     A brief flash came back to me. A picture of my grandfather lying in his bed weeks before passing away. He was a dormant volcano waiting to explode in an eruption of pain in only a matter of days. The thought made me miss him more than ever. I let the old man continue....

No comments:

Post a Comment